Trademark oppositions can be filed at the Trademarks registry in Abuja, Nigeria.
A trademark that has been accepted by the trademarks registry may be opposed on any of the grounds for rejection set out in the Trademarks Act and also based on Sections 9(d), 11, 12, 13, and 31 of the Act. Some of the most common grounds for opposition include:
- The trademark is identical or very similar to a prior registered/existing registration.
- The trademark contains deceptive or scandalous matters or designs.
- The trademark contains names of chemical substances.
- The applicant has no intention to use the trademark.
- The trademark contains geographical names.
- The trademark contains some restricted words and/or symbols.
If you are interested in filing trademark applications in Nigeria, please email email@example.com and someone from our team would assist you.