Obafemi Awolowo University was established in 1962. The University is set up as a non-profit public higher education institution. It is located in the suburban setting of the large town of Ile-Ife and is officially accredited by the National Universities Commission, Nigeria.
Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, and associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study.
OAU has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations. OAU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, sport facilities and/or activities, financial aids and/or scholarships, online courses and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment at OAU.
University Name: Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
Year Established: 1962
University Motto: For Learning and Culture
Country Rank: 4
World Rank: 1986
Academic Calendar: Semester
Law School: Yes
Other Faculty: Yes, Obafemi Awolowo University offers undergraduate and post-graduate programs in fields of specialization spanning the humanities, the arts, the natural sciences, the social sciences, the medical sciences, engineering and technology.
The university has 13 faculties and two colleges — the Postgraduate College and the College of Health Sciences — administered in more than 60 departments. It was previously associated with Loma Linda University in California, USA. The faculties are:
- Faculty of Administration
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Environmental Design & Management
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Sciences
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Below is the list of colleges:
The following are centers of excellence at OAU working in several fields of research:
- Atmospheric Research And Information Analysis Lab (ARIAL)
- Centre for Energy Research and Development (CERD)
- Center for Gender Studies (CGS)
- Institute For Entrepreneurship and Development Studies (IFEDS)
- Centre for Space Science and Technology Education in Africa (ARCSSTE)
- Central Science Laboratory (CSL)
- Centre for Space Research (CSR)
- Cooperative Information Network (COPINE / CICTED)
- Drug Research & Production Unit (DRPU)
- National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM)
- Natural History Museum (NHM)
- Population and Reproductive Health Programme/OAUIFE-GATES Institute JHU Partnership Project
- Institute of Public Health (IPH, OAU)
- Institute of Ecology and Environmental Studies (IEES)
- Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Surveys (RECTAS)
- Space Applications And Environmental Science Laboratory (SPAEL)
Accreditation: Obafemi Awolowo University is accredited by the National Universities Commission, Nigeria.
Library Collection: Yes
Trademark Filings and University Licensing: Not Reported
Degrees and Certificates Awarded: Multiple including Bachelor degrees, Masters Degrees, Doctorate degrees in several areas of study.