September 26, 2016 — In registering trademarks in Nigeria, you may apply for the mark to be registered under one or more of the 45 classes. Each class represents a distinct class of goods or services. For each application, you must pay a separate registration fee. In this article, we review some of the goods which fall under Class 44.
Class 44 includes medical care, hygienic and beauty care given by persons or establishments to human beings and animals. It also includes services relating to the fields of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.
You would choose Class 44 if you were registering any of the following types of services:
|Medical analysis services relating to the treatment of persons (such as x-ray examinations and taking of blood samples)||Services relating to the growing of plants such as gardening||Services relating to floral art such as floral compositions as well as garden design|
|Pharmacy advice||Artificial insemination services||Animal breeding|
|Dentistry||Pharmacists’ services to make up prescriptions||Health counselling / health counseling|
|Orthodontic services||Opticians’ services||Manicuring|
|Medical assistance||Medical advice for individuals with disabilities||Therapy services|
|Aromatherapy services||in vitro Fertilization services||Blood bank services|
|Chiropractics||Midwife services||Speech therapy services|
|services of a Psychologist||Plastic surgery||Physiotherapy / physical therapy|
|Manicuring||Medical clinic services||Vermin exterminating for agriculture, horticulture and forestry|
You would NOT use Class 44 if you were registering any of the following services:
- Vermin exterminating (other than for agriculture, horticulture and forestry) (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Installation and repair services for irrigation systems (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Ambulance transport (Class 39 – Shipping and Travel Services)
- Animal slaughtering services and taxidermy (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Timber felling and processing (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Animal training services (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Health clubs for physical exercise (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Scientific research services for medical purposes (Class 42 – Science and Technology Services)
- Boarding for animals (Class 43 – Food Services)
- Retirement homes (Class 43 – Food Services)
This article is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances.