Trademark Class 4 – Industrial Oils and Lubricants


October 17, 2016 — As part of the trademarks registration process in Nigeria, an applicant may apply for a mark to be registered under one or more of the 45 classes. Each class represents a distinct class of goods or services. For each application, an applicant must pay a separate registration fee. In this article, we review some of the goods which fall under Class 4.

Class 4 includes industrial oils and greases; lubricants; dust absorbing, wetting and binding compositions. It also includes fuels (including motor spirit) and illuminants; candles and wicks for lighting.

You would choose Class 4 if you were registering any of the following types of services:

Fuel and Illuminants e.g alcohol, benzene, coal, diesel oil, ethanol, fuel gas, gasoline etc. Candles and wicks for lighting. Christmas tree candles, lamps wicks, nighlights, perfumed candles, wicks for candles etc.
Wood, firewood, wood spills for lighting, wood briquettes. Non-chemical fuel additives, additives, non-chemical, to motor-fuel, naphtha Biofuels, oleine, rape oil for industrial purposes.
Electrical energy, electrical energy. Dust controllinb compositions, dubst binding compositions for sweeping, dust laying compositions etc. Preserving oils for masonry or leather, bone oil for industrial purposes, oil for the preservation of masonry, oil for the preservation of leather, preservatives for leather, oils and greases.

You would NOT use Class 4 if you were registering any of the following services:

  • Vermin exterminating (other than for agriculture, horticulture and forestry) (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
  • Installation and repair services for irrigation systems (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
  • Ambulance transport (Class 39 – Shipping and Travel Services)
  • Animal slaughtering services and taxidermy (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
  • Timber felling and processing (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
  • Animal training services (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
  • Health clubs for physical exercise (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
  • Scientific research services for medical purposes (Class 42 – Science and Technology Services)
  • Boarding for animals (Class 43 – Food Services)
  • Retirement homes (Class 43 – Food Services)

This article is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About Bob Aroture 564 Articles
Bob is a Senior Editor and Content Development Manager at Nigerian Law Intellectual Property Watch. He holds a BS degree, with a major in biochemistry. He works directly with the Newsroom Team. His focus areas are technology and innovation, and pharmaceutical technology. Email: