October 17, 2016 — As part of the trademarks registration process in Nigeria, an applicant may apply for a mark to be registered under one or more of the 45 classes. Each class represents a distinct class of goods or services. For each application, an applicant must pay a separate registration fee. In this article, we review some of the goods which fall under Class 4.
Class 4 includes industrial oils and greases; lubricants; dust absorbing, wetting and binding compositions. It also includes fuels (including motor spirit) and illuminants; candles and wicks for lighting.
You would choose Class 4 if you were registering any of the following types of services:
|Fuel and Illuminants e.g alcohol, benzene, coal, diesel oil, ethanol, fuel gas, gasoline etc.||Candles and wicks for lighting.||Christmas tree candles, lamps wicks, nighlights, perfumed candles, wicks for candles etc.|
|Wood, firewood, wood spills for lighting, wood briquettes.||Non-chemical fuel additives, additives, non-chemical, to motor-fuel, naphtha||Biofuels, oleine, rape oil for industrial purposes.|
|Electrical energy, electrical energy.||Dust controllinb compositions, dubst binding compositions for sweeping, dust laying compositions etc.||Preserving oils for masonry or leather, bone oil for industrial purposes, oil for the preservation of masonry, oil for the preservation of leather, preservatives for leather, oils and greases.|
You would NOT use Class 4 if you were registering any of the following services:
- Vermin exterminating (other than for agriculture, horticulture and forestry) (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Installation and repair services for irrigation systems (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Ambulance transport (Class 39 – Shipping and Travel Services)
- Animal slaughtering services and taxidermy (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Timber felling and processing (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Animal training services (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Health clubs for physical exercise (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Scientific research services for medical purposes (Class 42 – Science and Technology Services)
- Boarding for animals (Class 43 – Food Services)
- Retirement homes (Class 43 – Food Services)
This article is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances.