January 2, 2017 — In registering trademarks in Nigeria, an applicant may apply for the mark to be registered under one or more of the 45 classes. Each class represents a distinct class of goods or services. For each application, the applicant must pay a separate registration fee. In this article, we review some of the goods which fall under Class 28.
Class 28 includes games and playthings, gymnastics, and sporting articles.
You would choose Class 28 if you were registering any of the following types of goods:
|Swimming equipment including swimming jackets, swimming belts, swimming kicks, boards, floats for bathing and swimming etc.||Fishing equipment including fish hooks, lines for fishing, butterfly nets, decoys for hunting, rods for fishing, artificial fishing bait.||Video game apparatus including video game machines, arcade video game machines, controllers for game, consoles, portable games etc.|
|Toys, games and playthings including chess games, chessboards, chips for gambling, party hats, paper building games, confetti, board games, building blocks etc.||Sporting articles and equipment including tables for table tennis, tennis ball throwing apparatus, trampoline, weight lifting belts, roller skates for stationers exercise bicycles etc.||Golf equipment including golf clubs, golf bags etc.|
You would NOT use Class 28 if you were registering any of the following services:
- Vermin exterminating (other than for agriculture, horticulture and forestry) (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Installation and repair services for irrigation systems (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Ambulance transport (Class 39 – Shipping and Travel Services)
- Animal slaughtering services and taxidermy (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Timber felling and processing (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Animal training services (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Health clubs for physical exercise (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Scientific research services for medical purposes (Class 42 – Science and Technology Services)
- Boarding for animals (Class 43 – Food Services)
- Retirement homes (Class 43 – Food Services)
This article is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances.