In registering trademarks in Nigeria, an applicant may apply for the mark to be registered under one or more of the 45 classes. Each class represents a distinct class of goods or services. For each application, the applicant must pay a separate registration fee. In this article, we review some of the goods which fall under Class 2.
Class 2 includes Paints, Varnishes, Lacquers and Preservatives.
You would choose Class 2 if you were registering any of the following types of goods:
|Paints, varnishes and lacquers for industry, handicrafts and arts.||Dyestuffs for clothing, or preservatives, anti-corrosive preparations, anti-corrosive bands.||Colorants for foodstuffs and beverages.|
|Dyes, colorants, pigments and inks, engraving ink.||Food and beverage colorings, caramel, colorants for beverages, colorants for butter, colorants for beer, colorants for liqueurs, food dyes or food colorants, malt colorants.||Paints and washes, aluminum paints, anti-fouling paints, asbestos paints, bactericidal paints, ceramic paints, coatings for roofing felt or coatings for tarred felt, distempers, enamels for painting/enamel paints, fireproof paints, glazes|
You would NOT use Class 2 if you were registering any of the following goods or services:
- Surgical, Medical, Dental, and Veterinary Supplies (Class 10)
- Games, Toys and Sporting Goods (Class 28)
- Vermin exterminating (other than for agriculture, horticulture and forestry) (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Installation and repair services for irrigation systems (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Ambulance transport (Class 39 – Shipping and Travel Services)
- Animal slaughtering services and taxidermy (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Timber felling and processing (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Animal training services (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Health clubs for physical exercise (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Scientific research services for medical purposes (Class 42 – Science and Technology Services)
- Boarding for animals (Class 43 – Food Services)
- Retirement homes (Class 43 – Food Services)
For more information on filing trademarks in Nigeria, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This article is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances.