In order to register trademarks in Nigeria, you must select at least one or more of the 45 classes. Each class represents a distinct class of goods or services for each application for registration, you must pay a separate registration fee. In this article, we review some of the goods which fall under trademark Class 10 in Nigeria.
Class 10 includes surgical, medical, dental and veterinary apparatus.
You would choose Class 10 if you were registering any of the following types of services:
|Medical and veterinary apparatus and instruments including ice bags for medical condoms, incubators for babies, bed pans, breast pumps, etc.||Medical clothing including gloves, masks for use by medical personnel, maternity belts, strait jackets.||Dental Equipment and prostheses, orthodontic appliances, artificial limbs, hair prostheses, pins for artificial teeth, mirrors for dentists, dental apparatus etc.|
|Armchairs for medical and dental purposes, bandages, drainage tubes for medical purposes, elastic stockings for surgical purposes.||Radiotherapy apparatus, radium tubes for medical purposes etc.||Inhalers, suture materials, X-ray apparatus, suture needles, knives for surgical purposes, scalpels, scissors for surgery, contraceptives, etc.|
You would NOT use Class 10 if you were registering any of the following services:
- Vermin exterminating (other than for agriculture, horticulture and forestry) (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Installation and repair services for irrigation systems (Class 37 – Construction and Repair Services)
- Ambulance transport (Class 39 – Shipping and Travel Services)
- Animal slaughtering services and taxidermy (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Timber felling and processing (Class 40 – Material Treatment Services)
- Animal training services (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Health clubs for physical exercise (Class 41 – Education and Entertainment Services)
- Scientific research services for medical purposes (Class 42 – Science and Technology Services)
- Boarding for animals (Class 43 – Food Services)
- Retirement homes (Class 43 – Food Services)
This article was originally published on January 16, 2017 and is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances.