Trademark Registration allows individuals and businesses to protect words or visual symbols which they use to distinguish their goods or services from other similar goods or services originating from a different business.
In Nigeria, trademarks are valid for 7 years from the date of the initial application. Following the initial period of registration, Applicants may renew trademarks from time to time. Each renewal is valid for 14 years from the date of the expiration of the original registration or of the last renewal of registration.
A renewal may be filed online using the Trademarks Registry’s portal for accredited agents or physically at the Trademark Registry in Abuja.
What is the Procedure of Trademark Renewal in Nigeria
- Click on Recordal.
- Search to confirm whether or not the trademark can be located online. If no results are found, the registry provides the option for an Applicant to upload a copy of the Registration Certificate. You may also upload a copy of the Acceptance Form issued by the Registry to your application for renewal.
- Provide information relating to the Applicant. For example, you will need to provide information such as the Applicant’s name, address, email address, phone number, nationality, and if the Applicant is a company or individual trading under a different name.
- Provide information relating to the Applicant and also information relating to the trademark. For example, the Applicant will need to provide, the trademark type, registration number, the file or TM number, class of goods or services, and a description of the logo (if any).
What are the Documents Required for Trademark Renewal
- Certificate of Registration of the Trademark
- Power of Attorney (Please include Information on the applicant including the Name and Address)
- Pay the requisite fees
- Trademark or Registration number, Logo(if any) and class of goods or services for renewal.
The timeline from filing renewal to collection of renewal certificate is usually under 3 months. You can file the application within 3 months of the renewal date.