The DST/NRF SARChI Chair in Social Policy and its partners invite abstracts of papers to be presented at the 2017 Social Policy in Africa Conference. The conference will take place from November 20-22, 2017 at the University of South Africa (Pretoria, South Africa). Abstracts and papers that offer critical reflections on (a) Africa’s experience with social policy since Africa’s decade of independence in the 1960s, (b) contemporary experiences of social policy, and (c) prospective inquiries into social policy for addressing Africa’s diverse challenges of developmental and human well being.
The call for this conference is premised on the need to return to a wider vision of social policy and a more holistic development project that requires rethinking social policy and economic development in a manner that reinforces the complementarity of economic and social policies. It is a comprehensive approach that should take cognizance that a significant share of Africa’s population is still in the rural area. In this regard, it calls for reflections on how the multiple tasks of social policy can be activated to enhance the quality of lives for the rural population.
In the same vein, we invite research-based papers that offer reflection on diversity of traditional conceptions of mutual support and collective efforts that simultaneously enhance production and protect against the vagaries of life.
We invite abstracts and papers in the following thematic areas:
1. Social Policy in Africa’s Development Context: redressing poverty, reducing inequality, promoting development.
2. Rethinking Social Policy: African insights in theorising social policy.
3. Social Policymaking in Africa: actors, agency, and policy space.
4. Poverty and Inequality in Africa.
5. Redressing Health Inequalities: ensuring access to quality healthcare.
6. Pension Systems Reform and Income Security in Old Age.
7. Critical Perspectives on Social Protection.
8. Non-Formal Social Provisioning: the African Experiences.
9. Land and Agrarian Reform: the social policy perspectives.
Deadline for Abstracts: Thursday, September 1, 2017. Authors of accepted abstracts will be informed by Friday, September 8, 2017.
Deadline for full papers of accepted abstracts: Friday, October 20, 2017
Submission of Abstracts:
Click here to access the abstracts submission page.
Travel Support Grants:
A very limited number of travel support grants is available for accepted paper presenters.
Please direct all enquiries to:
Ms Ipeleng Chauke
2017 Social Policy in Africa Conference
Tel: +27 12 337 6114.
A select number of the papers presented at the conference will be published in a special edition of Africa Development. A larger number of papers will be published as an edited volume of papers.