Filing a trademark application at the Trademarks, Patents and Designs Registry in Nigeria requires that an applicant comply with the requirements of the Trademark Act and regulations. Applicants typically hire lawyers who specialize in trademark matters to represent them in the application process and in most cases provide legal advice.
There are a few basic requirements for filing a trademark or service mark application with the Trademarks, Patents and Designs Registry in Nigeria.
The applicant will need to provide the following information:
- The name, address and nationality of the applicant.
- If the applicant is a company, the country or state of incorporation should be included on the Form 1 (Power of Attorney) authorizing an agent to file the application on the company’s behalf.
- A description of the goods and/or services for which registration is required.
- If the trademark includes a logo (often referred to as a device), the applicant would also need to provide the logo in jpeg format.
- If the mark contains or consists of non-English words, a translation of those words into English should be provided.
- If the application is to claim priority from an earlier filed convention application, details of that application should be provided. An applicant in such a case should include an application number, filing date, country and goods or services.
For more information on filing trademarks in Nigeria, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.