All cosmetic products that are sold in Nigeria must be registered with the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
NAFDAC is an agency under the Federal Ministry of Health that is responsible for regulating and controlling the manufacture, importation, exportation, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, chemical and packaged water. NAFDAC regulates these products in order to safeguard public health.
For businesses interested in manufacturing and selling cosmetic products such as skin products, skin care products, face care products, face masks, eye contour products, hand care products, lip care products, body care products, skin cleansing products such as soap, body hair removal products, make up and sharing products etc, NAFDAC provides guidelines for registration of cosmetics made in Nigeria.
What Documents are Needed to Register Made in Nigeria Cosmetics in Nigeria?
In order to register made in Nigeria cosmetics in Nigeria, certain documents are needed:
- A written application to register made in Nigeria cosmetics should be made on the company’s letterhead paper to the Director-General (NAFDAC), ATTENTION: The Director, Registration and Regulatory Affairs (R & R) Directorate, Ground Floor, NAFDAC Office Complex, Isolo Industrial Estate, Oshodi-Apapa Express Way, Isolo, and Lagos State.
- An online application form for Product Registration should be purchased here and completed.
- If there are multiple products, a separate application form shall be submitted for each.
- Evidence of Business Incorporation. In-case of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs); evidence of Business Evidence of payment to the Agency.
- Contract Manufacturing Agreement (where applicable). This agreement is needed in cases where the company seeking NAFDAC registration is different from the manufacturing company.
- Evidence of Registration of Brand Name with Trademark Registry in the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment. Cosmetics products are usually filed in Trademark Class 3.
- Evidence of satisfactory Inspection issued by the relevant Directorate or Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) certificate for product line (companies with registered products).
- Product Labels/artwork.
- Comprehensive Certificate of Analysis. The certificate of analysis must be presented on a letter-headed paper of the Quality Control Laboratory where the sample was tested/evaluated and should contain the under listed information:
(a) The brand name of the product
(b) The batch number of the product
(c) The manufacturing and expiry dates
(d) The name, designation and signature of the analyst
How Do You Know if An Application is Successful After Submission?
If an application is successful, NAFDAC will issue a Notification/Certificate of Registration. If unsuccessful or not approved, the applicant will receive a Compliance Directive.
How Long is the Certificate of Registration Valid?
A Certificate of Registration is valid for a period of five (5) years.
Can a Company Advertise the Product Immediately After Approval?
Registration of a product does not automatically confer Advertising Permit. A separate application and subsequent approval by NAFDAC is usually required if products are to be advertised.
This article is intended to provide general information about the subject matter. Professional legal advice should be sought about specific circumstances. Are you looking to get new cosmetic products application, submission & approval with NAFDAC in Nigeria, please email email@example.com.