The Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC) recently announced that the Commission has seized literary works worth N1, 500,000 (approximately $4,200) during an anti-piracy operation at Yaba Book Market in Lagos on September 7, 2017.
According to the NCC, four suspects were arrested while over 450 book titles belonging to different authors and publishers were seized from the suspects during this operation.
NCC states that the names of the arrested suspects are; Mr. Joseph Ibeh, Mr. Michael Nwaizu, Mr. Dozie Igwebuike and Mr. Alloy Ogbu.
Some of the titles of books seized during the raid include the following:
- Exam Focus Mathematics for WASSCE & SSCE by University Press;
- MAN Primary Mathematics Book 5 by University Press;
- Basic English Pry 5-6 (Book 4) by University Press;
- New Oxford Secondary English JSS2-SSS3 by University Press;
- The New First Aid in English by Angus Mauver;
- Longman Primary Dictionary;
- Macmillian Quantitative Reasoning Primary book 1;
- Progression Mathematics by Sunrise Publication.
The enforcement raid was executed by a team of Copyright Inspectors in the Lagos Zonal Office led by Mr. Francisco Aremu backed up by armed Policemen.
The suspects have been granted bail while investigation continues but they are expected to be charged to Court for Prosecution.