January 5, 2015
We hope you had a joyous and relaxing holiday season. In our continuing effort to provide more information about IP rights and protection in Nigeria, NLIPW has today launched a new online tool to facilitate brand searches in Nigeria. The NLIPW Trademarks and Service Marks Database was created to give users the opportunity to perform preliminary searches for similar or identical trademarks, prior to conducting an official search with the Trademarks, Patents and Designs Registry in Abuja. Users can take advantage of this database to search for marks previously applied for in Nigeria.
The database allows for the search of trademarks by classes and the following specific information are provided when individual marks are clicked on:
- Trademark Name
- Application Number
- Filing Date
- Applicant’s Name and Address
- Filing Agent
- A Description of the Goods and Services Covered
- Description of the Mark and Status
For 2015, NLIPW will update the Trademarks and Service Mark Database on a regular basis and will continue to provide the following services:
- Laws and Treaties: Through its Public Access to Statutes Initiative, NLIPW will continue to provide an electronic database of Nigerian laws and treaties relating to intellectual property. The laws contained in the Laws and Treaties database are free for all users.
- Cases and Principles: The Cases and Principles database allows members to read cases as contained in the Nigerian Intellectual Property Judicial Decisions (NIPJD) law reports. The database is a great resource for looking up IP cases from the Federal High Courts, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in Nigeria.
- Law Firms and Lawyer Directories: The Lawyers and Law Firms Directory provide quick access to intellectual property lawyers from across 85 law firms in Nigeria. NLIPW will continue to make these directories publicly available for viewing by all users.
- eDigest: NLIPW will continue to publish its weekly patents, trademarks and copyright eDigest compilations featuring case reviews and articles on contemporary intellectual property issues in Nigeria. These eDigest will also highlight research papers on intellectual property.
We thank you again for your continued support and look forward to another memorable year!
+1 (347) 688 5962