August 10, 2016 –The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) recently released two news reports titled “Breach Profile” for the months of March and April 2016. The reports highlight fines or warnings issued by the NBC for violation of various sections of the Broadcasting Code. The majority of the fines were based on ads containing unverifiable claims, airing ads during the wrong time-belt, or airing music with vulgar expressions.
- HOT FM, was cautioned and advised to repackage or provide proof of authentication in respect of an advert of Morning Fresh liquid with the superlative “Morning Fresh, Nigeria’s No 1 dish washing liquid which contravene Section 7.0.14 of the Code. Adverts were aired on March 7 & 23, 2016 respectively.
- NIG. INFO FM, ABUJA, was cautioned and advised to repackage or provide proof of authentication in respect of an Advert of SWAN Natural Spring Water with unsubstantiated claims, “Swan spring water is absolutely natural and perfectly pure”, a contravention of Section 7.0.18 of the Code. Adverts were aired on March 9, 23 and 28, 2016 respectively.
- NTA Minna, was cautioned and advised to repackage Amarya Household Furniture advert aired on Mach 27, 2016 which exceeded 60 seconds advert duration by 20secs a breach of Section 7.0.10 of the Code.
- NTA NEW 24 on April 26,2016 was cautioned and advised to repackage Advert of Dettol with superlative “No. 1 selling antiseptic soap proven to kill 100% ill causing germs which contravene Section 7.0.14 of the code.
- KAPITAL FM Abuja was cautioned for airing advert of New Realm Investment LTD with the use of superlative “we get the cheapest price, wey you fit find for market” on April 6, 2016
- RAYPOWER FM BENIN on March 14, 2016 was fined N100,000.00 for airing trado medic advert of various trado medic practitioners, Offering treatments and cure for various health conditions which should rightly receive the attention of registered medical practitioners. Ailments listed on NAFDAC’s prohibition list were also aired. Offer of advice relating to treatment of serious complaints and ailment such as Diabetes, Rheumatism, Miscarriage, Impotency, Pile, etc were mentioned as against Sections 7.3.3, 7.3.7 and 7.3.18 of the Code.
- NTA BENIN, on March 30, 2016 was warned for airing SOGB Gas advert with the use of superlatives: “The number one cooking gas in town”, as against Section 7.0.14 of the Code.
- AIT BENIN, on March 29, 2016 was warned for breaching Section 7.0.14 of the code. Station during its programme “I don’t Trust men” (drama), aired advert of Colgate toothpaste with the use of superlative: “Colgate the number one selling toothpaste”, as against Section 7.0.14 of the Code.
- RIZE FM, WARRI on March 25 & 28, 2016 was warned for airing Samvita advert with use of superlatives; “Samvita the BEST for market” as against Section 7.0.14 of the Code.
- NTA BENIN, on April 10, 2016 was issued a Final Warning for airing the advert of Zeco Best with the use of superlative thus “Zeco Best na the number one place”, thereby breaching Section 7.0.14 of the Code.
- RIZE FM, WARRI on April 04, 2016 was warned for airing the advert of “Warri Shop” with the use of superlatives thus “Warri Shop your number one online shopping destination”, as against Section 7.0.14 of the Code.
- MAGIC FM ABA (102.9 FM) was fined Seventy Five Thousand Naira N75,000.00 for airing Tina’s Day School and Prince Ell School back-to-back. This is a recurrent breach on the station and violates Sections 1.5(d) of the code.
- IBC ORIENT TV OWERRI (94.4 MHZ) was warned and advised to stop broadcast of Iya Amina Wonder, a Trado-Medical practitioner that claimed to cure all eye diseases, contravening Section 7.3.5, 7.3.6 and 7.3.1 of the code.
- FRCN HEART LAND FM OWERRI (100.5 FM) was warned and advised to stop advert of Iya Amina Trado-Medics, aired on March 16, 2016 between 9:24pm & 9:25pm, which claimed to cure all types/kinds of eye disease “No matter the condition of the eye problem”. This violates Sections 7.3.1, 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 of the code.
- LOVE FM UMUAHIA (103.9 MHZ) was cautioned for airing advert of Demsel International Therapy Ltd on March 23, 2016 at 2.52pm which claimed to possess strong medicines that can cure strong ailments no matter how strong it tends to be. It equally claimed to cure bareness, ailment wey dey waka for your head, leg and even your body wey no dey function well, Demsel be the answer. This breached Sections 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7 and 7.3.18 of the code.
- FRCN PACESETTER FM Umuahia (103.5FM) was cautioned and advised to repackage the advert of Magic Rambo Insecticide aired on April 17, 2016 and described as the “Eastern No. 1. This breached Section 7.0.14 of the Code.
- PETALS 103.5FM, IBADAN was fined N100,000 and directed to stop, “Aye Lokun”, a programme replete with promotion of negative myths, superstitious beliefs and paranormal on March 12, 2016. The programme breaches Sections 3.4.1, 4.2.2(c) and 7.0.23 of the Code.
- LIVINGSPRING FM, OSOGBO was Fined N100,000 on March 22, 2016 for unverifiable claims in herbal advertisement. Section 7.0.7, 7.0.18 and 7.0.23 of the Code were breached.
- TSBS (AM) JALINGO, was warned for airing a trado-medic advert of Akyautata Rayuwa on March 7, 2016 between 5:30pm & 6:00pm, with claims relating to the treatment of all eye complaints, conditions, indications or symptoms. This contravene Sections 7.3.5 and 7.3.2 of the Code.
- UNITY (FM), JOS, was warned and directed to withdraw the adverts or repackaged to meet broadcasting standard. Station during Trado Medic Trade Fair at Polo Field, Jos, aired trado-medic advert on March 21,22 & 23 2016 respectively between 4:00pm and 9:35pm, with spurious claims to cure diseases which should rightly receive the attention of a registered medical practitioner. This contravenes Section 7.3.5 of the Code.
- AIT JOS, was warned and invited for a meeting for airing trado medic advert from the Trado-medic Trade Fair at Polo Field, Jos, with spurious claims to cure diseases that should rightly receive the attention of a medical doctor on March 27 & 30, 2016 respectively between 9:05pm & 9:26pm. This contravenes Sections 7.3.3, 7.3.5, 7.3.7, 7.3.18 and 8.2.2of the Code.
- DITV KADUNA was N100,000 for breaching Sections 1.5(d) 7.3.1, 7.3.5, 7.3.7, 7.3.10 & 7.3.18 of the Code. Station broadcast back-back Trado medic advert of Alhaji Muhammad Dan Fulani, Auwal N Inuwa, Mansha Herbs, Hajia Khudirat, Hajia Zainab Niger, Hajia Hauwa Sudan, Alhaji Sadiq and Green Land with claims to cure pregnancy problem, tummy slimming, infertility in women, Hypertension, Diabetes, Typhoid, and Increase Libido on March 1, 2016.
- NTA KADUNA was fined N100,000 for breaching Sections 7.3.5, 7.3.10,7.3.15 & 7.3.18 of the Code. Station broadcast a trado-medic advert of Alhaji dan Fulani and Aboki Herbal Home aired on March 2, 2016 with claims to cure Infertility, Diabetes, Pile, Increase Libido. Green Land claims to have three departments for Eye, Skin and General problems.
- BRILA FM KADUNA on March 11, 2016 was cautioned for breaching Section 7.0.31 & 7.0.15 of the Code. A presenter with the station hyped Swan Natural Water thus: “it will guarantee you a better quality life, it makes your system regulate and you can use it to contest and win election….”
- NAGARTA RADIO KADUNA was cautioned for breaching Sections 3.3.3 and 4.5.1 of the Code on March 20, 2016 for broadcast of unbalanced programme where unfair remarks were made against workers of sachet water companies by Malam Halliru Usman Birnin Yero. They were described as dirty people who didn’t know basic personal and environmental hygiene.
- CAPITAL SOUND FM KADUNA was cautioned to authenticate the validity of the claims. Station on March 11, 2016 breached Sections 1.15(n) & 8.2.2 of the Code for broadcast of misleading and unsubstantiated informercial of “Efex Rally Financial Trading and Kaduna Revolution Financial seminar”. Participants according to the informecial, will learn how to do financial trading which is the largest and liquid market in the world. The seminar is free but with an ongoing promo to win a Toyota Hilux and other fantastic prizes. Another claim was, one can start the business with minimum of N50,000.
- AIT was cautioned on the use of scroll bar to advertise a product, breaching Section 7.0.35 of the code.
- RHYTHM FM was cautioned for breaching Section 7.0.15 of the code. A presenter with the station endorsed Jago milk extensively by talking about the different types. He urged listeners to ensure they buy it. This breached Section7.0.15 of the code.
- NIGERIA INFO was cautioned because its presenters endorsed “Fil Products” extensively, in breach of Section 7.0.15of the code. Station was also advised to caution its presenters for endorsing “Syntex Global” – distributors of extreme fuel treatment extensively, thereby breaching Section 7.0.15 of the code.
- WAZOBIA FM was advised to caution its presenter Twi Twi for endorsing “Action Bitters” extensively and recommending it for the cure of serious ailments. Sections 7.0.15 & 7.3.5 of the code were breached.
- RAY POWER FM GOMBE on March 15, 2016 was warned for broadcasting a trado – medic advertisements with spurious and exaggerated claims as well as offer of medicines for serious diseases. This violated Section 7.3.5 of the Code.
- RADIO GOTEL AM was cautioned on March 30, 2016 for airing a trado-medic adverts of Alhaji Isma’ila mai maganin maza, who claims to increase sexual libido. This violated Sections 7.3.1 & 7.3.18 of the Code.
Click here to view the full breach profile for the month of April 2016.