January 4, 2017 — The Harare Protocol on Patents, Industrial Designs and Utility Models has been amended. The changes became effective on January 1, 2017. The amendments were adopted by the 40th Session of the ARIPO Administrative Council.
The amendments include:
- A provision for filing for a request for examination Section 3 (3).
- A definition of a patent and exclusions from patentability Section 3 (10) and Rule 8 of the Harare protocol.
- Provisions for Reestablishment of rights Section 5bis.
- Provisions for Postgrant amendments Section 5ter, Rue 5 and Rule 21ter.
- Provisions for Multiple dependent claims Rule 7(4).
- A new fee schedule is also included to include the new amendments.