NATIONAL AGENCY FOR FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AND CONTROL (NAFDAC)
VETERINARY MEDICINE AND ALLIED PRODUCTS (VMAP) DIRECTORATE
GUIDELINES FOR REGISTRATION OF LOCALLY MANUFACTURED
ANIMAL FEED, PET FOOD AND PREMIXES
These guidelines are for the interest of the general public and companies that want to engage in local manufacture of Animal feeds, Premixes and Pet food.
No Animal feeds, pet food and premixes shall be manufactured, exported, distributed or sold in Nigeria except in accordance with provision of NAFDAC ACT CAP N1 LFN 2004.
B. APPLICATIONS FOR REGISTRATION
An application for registration of locally manufactured Animal Feed, Pet food and Premixes shall be made by the manufacturer on company’s letter head addressed to;
The Director General
National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)
ATTN: The Director, Veterinary Medicines and Allied Products (VMAP)
No 445, Herbert Macaulay way, Yaba, Lagos
The applicant shall submit the application with two sets of the following documents to the liaison office of the Director (LOD) VMAP.
1) Certificate of registration of brand name/Evidence of Trade mark registration from the Federal Ministry of Commerce and Industry in Nigeria, in favour of the owner of the trade mark.
2) Company’s organogram stating the names and qualifications of technical officers.
3) Comprehensive Certificate of Analysis of the batch of product to be registered including radiation free report indicating the name and designation of the analyst and signature.
4) Certificate of business Incorporation of the applicant with Corporate Affairs Commission in Nigeria. (Note: The original documents shall be presented for sighting.)
5) Duly completed Registration form.
6) Product labels.
7) Expired License (for product registration renewal).
8) Evidence of any special claims made must be substantiated.
9) Letters of employment and acceptance, 2 passport photographs and credentials of technical/ supervising officer with a minimum of National Diploma in related Sciences such as Animal Science, Agro-sciences etc.
10) Current medical certificates of fitness of the technical officer and other staff in the warehouse. (not more than six month)
11) Evidence of fumigation of premises/ factory or pest control.
Three (3) labeled samples (Pack size shall not exceed 20kg) of the product(s) accompanied with the Certificate of analysis of the product(s) shall be submitted for vetting.
The following are to be submitted for laboratory analysis
a) Copy of payment receipt (Original shall be sighted).
b) Samples of product(s) for laboratory analysis.
Upon receipt of satisfactory laboratory report of samples, the products shall be scheduled for approval if the report of the GMP inspection of the facility is also satisfactory.
Upon approval, certificate of product registration will be issued which is valid for 5 years.
NOTE: It is recommended to commence renewal of registration license three months before expiration of validity.
D. TARIFFS FOR REGISTRATION
Applicant shall obtain registration form from VMAP at the rate of N500 per product. All payments to the Agency should be in Bank Draft /cash, payable to National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) account at designated bank.
Registration Fee = ₦50,000 +5% VAT per product
♦Inspection Fee = ₦10,000 + 5% VAT
♦Laboratory Analysis = ₦20,000 +5% VAT
♦Issuance of Certificate = ₦20,000+5% VAT
NOTE: The cost of renewal of product registration license shall be 60% of Total cost.
The label shall have the following information:
1) Labeling should be informative and accurate.
2) Name of product brand must appear boldly.
3) The name and the full address of the manufacturer must be stated on the label in such a manner that it is easily readable.
4) Batch number, Date of manufacture, and Best before/ Expiry date.
5) Net content ( per unit volume or weight).
6) The ingredients must be listed by their common names and quantitatively in order of their predominance by weight.
7) Directions for safe use and disposal of the packaging material.
8) Where special dietary animal feed/ premixes and pet food are labeled with claims of disease prevention, treatment, mitigation, cure or diagnosis, must comply with the guidelines for veterinary medicines and be registered as medicated feeds/ premixes.
9) Provision shall be made for NAFDAC registration number.
10) Storage condition of product shall be indicated.
1. AN APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION DOES NOT CONFER REGISTRATION STATUS ON THE PRODUCT.
2. FAILURE TO RESPOND PROMPTLY TO CONCERNS RAISED BY NAFDAC ON THE APPLICATION WILL AUTOMATICALLY LEAD TO DELAY OF THE PROCESSING OF THE APPLICATION.
All correspondence in respect of this application shall be addressed to:
The Director, (VMAP)
Veterinary Medicines and Allied Products Directorate
No 445 Herbert Macaulay way
E-mail address: email@example.com